Heart disease is the primary cause of death for both women and men, but you can prevent heart problems by adopting healthy lifestyle changes. Heart Health begins by taking small steps towards prevention. Here are ten tips for a healthier heart.
Ten strategies to help protect your heart:
- Take steps to prevent and manage diabetes: You can delay or prevent the onset of diabetes complications with the proper medical treatment, but it begins with getting tested.
- Monitor your blood pressure: Know your numbers, because the higher your blood pressure is, the higher your risk of heart problems will be.
- Control your cholesterol: The best approach to help control your cholesterol levels is to eat more “helpful” fats and fewer “unhelpful” ones. Helpful fats include olive and peanut oils, peanut and almond butter, nuts and avocados.
- Keep a healthy weight: When you lose fat you reduce the burden on your heart, lungs, blood vessels and skeleton. Family Physicians Group provides patients with a dedicated Health Coach along with an in-house, registered dietitian.
- De-stress your life: Learn to relax and enjoy life. All of your organs will thank you and it will do wonders for your blood pressure.
- Boost your immune system: Infections and bacteria cause a few types of heart diseases. Eat enoki, shitake or oyster mushrooms, cruciferous vegetables such as kale, broccoli, lettuce and cabbage; vitamin c is also an essential nutrient to boost your immune system.
- Exercise your heart: Do things that get your heart pumping like walking, jogging or taking a bike ride. We invite you to try our exercise programs at our seniors clubs.
- Follow a healthy diet: Eat a heart supporting diet and supplement program. FPG has an in-house, registered dietitian which works with you one-on-one to identify your health goals, assess your current eating habits and see your food preferences.
- Quit smoking: It’s never too late to quit smoking and it is one of the surest ways to reduce your risk of heart disease, heart attacks, chronic lung disease and other cancers. Schedule free tobacco use cessation counseling today!
- If you drink alcohol, drink only in moderation: Family Physicians Group offers valuable support programs and screenings to help you get the treatment you need to get sober.
How’s your Heart Health? Use these heart assessment tools to find out.
7 Simple Steps
- This lifestyle assessment tool gives you simple steps to improve your heart health.
- Track and manage your blood-pressure and heart health
Join Family Physicians Group to adopt healthy lifestyle habits
We support your wellness goals with nutrition and fitness programs by developing a hearth health plan that best fit your lifestyle, age and ability. To learn more about our wellness programs
, preventative screenings
or Seniors Clubs
, contact a member of the Family Physicians Group
team with your questions.