Cancer is the leading cause of death among seniors and cervical cancer is the number two killer of woman worldwide. The older you get the risk of getting cancer including cervical cancer increases. Cervical cancer is caused by a virus, called the humanpapilloma virus (HPV), so older woman are still at risk.
Cervical Cancer Prevention:
What does Medicare Cover?
- Pap test: Women can protect themselves from cervical cancer by getting a bi-yearly Pap test. Regular screenings are the most important thing you can do to prevent cervical cancer. Early detection is your best prevention when caught early cervical cancer is curable.
- Practice safe sex: Use condoms during intercourse as cervical cancer is caused by a certain strain of the humanpapilloma virus a common sexually transmitted disease. Condom use has been associated with a lower rate of cervical cancer, however the HPV infection can still occur in both female and male genital areas even with the use of a latex condom.
- Limit sexual partners: Having a monogamous sexual partner lowers the risk of getting the humanpapilloma virus (HPV).
- Quit smoking: Smoking exposes the body and organs to the harmful cancer-causing chemicals. Research has found that cancer-causing chemical (benzyrene) from cigarettes can damage the cervix. If you smoke in combination with a high-risk type of HPV infection you are twice as likely to have pre cancerous cells in your cervical screening test, or to get cervical cancer.
- Every 24 months Medicare covers one Pap test and pelvic exam for seniors of average risks for cervical cancer.
- Tests are covered every 12 months for high-risk seniors who have had an abnormal Pap test in the past 3 years.
How much does it cost?
- Medicare beneficiaries pay no copay and no deductible for the Pap lab test. Medicare Part B also covers a clinical breast exam as part of the pelvic exam.
Preventive health screenings
Preventive health care
matters in living a longer, healthy life, so its wise to take advantage of these preventive screenings
and services. For more information call 1.866.999.3741
or schedule your appointment
with FPG, today. We encourage your feedback please comment below, or you can chat with us on Facebook and Twitter.