Medications play a more important role in our lives, as we grow older. When properly managed, prescription and nonprescription medications can help seniors live longer and healthier lives. However, medications can also bring many safety concerns for aging seniors.
The older we get the more likely we will be prescribed more than one kind of medication and this can really complicate things leading to harmful interactions. It can be difficult to remember what each medicine is for, and how and when you should take them. Approximately 1.5 million people in the U.S are harmed due to medication errors every year.
Here are some helpful hints how to get the benefits of the medicine while reducing the risks associated with managing multiple prescription and nonprescription medications.
- In-House pharmacy: We recommend you use one pharmacy preferably our in house pharmacy FPRx and talk to your pharmacist regularly. FPRx provides free Medication Therapy Management (MTM) program offers personalized counseling from a pharmacist to help you evaluate and organize all of your medications for the safest, most effective results possible.
- Review the medication labels: Take the medication according to the scheduled label and if you have any questions call your pharmacist before consuming the medication.
- Watch for side effects: Monitor your body and well-being closely as some medications can cause side effects. If side effects should occur, please contact your pharmacist and doctor for guidance.
- Properly store your medications: Medications should be stored in a cool, dry, dark location. Go through your medicine cabinet regularly and discard all expired medications.
- Try to set and follow a routine: Take the medicine according to the schedule on the label. Our personalized senior pharmacy services also include advice for when and how to take medications and ways to save money.
- Setup a medication checklist: Keep an up-to-date checklist of all of your medications and mark it off each time you take them. This way you can be assured about which medications you have taken.
Personalized Senior Pharmacy Services
To learn more about our personalized, hassle-free pharmacy services
, contact our team online
with your questions. Or call us toll-free at 1-866-999-3741
. To learn how to take advantage of personalized prescription support, ask us about our preferred pharmacy services (FPRx).