Researchers have discovered that positive lifestyle changes such as physical activity, stress reduction, improved social life along with eating a healthier diet may reverse the aging process at a cellular level.
A pilot study published in The Lancet Oncology
found strong evidence that lifestyle changes over a five-year period
may lengthen telomeres. Telomere length is a sign of biological age.
Telomeres are DNA-protein complexes found at the end of linear
chromosomes, and have been shown to be critical for cellular health.
Telomeres when impaired or shortened cause the cells to age and die
faster, inevitably triggering the aging process. When the telomeres are
lengthened, on the other hand, it reverses the aging process from a
cellular level equating to a longer, healthier, and happier life.
Telomeres protect the end of chromosomes and by adopting a healthy
lifestyle you can actually reverse aging by increasing the telomere
length. The important thing to take away from the study is that it is
never too late to make positive lifestyle changes to reverse the aging
FPG can help you adopt and maintain positive lifestyle
changes, to lengthen your telomeres so you can live a longer, healthier
and happier life:
- Do things that get your heart pumping like walking, jogging or taking a bike ride.
- We invite you to try our exercise programs at our seniors clubs.
Adopt a healthy diet
- Healthy eating is one of the most important lifestyle changes we
can do to fight diseases, improve our energy, and grow new healthy
- FPG has an in-house, registered dietitian which works with you one-on-one to identify your health goals, assess your current eating habits and see your food preferences.
- When you lose fat you reduce the burden on your heart, lungs,
blood vessels and skeleton. Just losing five to ten pounds can
dramatically lower your blood pressure.
- Medicare now covers intensive weight loss counseling for Medicare patients with a (BMI) of 30 or more free of charge.
- FPG has a hands-on, specific instruction weight management program to help you hit your weight loss goals.
Custom Nutrition and Wellness Support!
Family Physicians Group
supports supports your wellness goals with nutrition and fitness
programs that best fit your lifestyle, age and ability. To learn more
about our wellness programs
, preventative screenings
or Seniors Clubs
, contact a member of the Family Physicians Group team
with your questions.