We love living in the Sunshine State, but so much sunny weather can have a downside. Exposure to the sun may cause wrinkles and age spots and worse: skin cancer. Some senior citizens remain unconcerned about the negative effects of the sun’s rays, but it's important for to protect your skin, particularly in old age.
Sun Safety Week is an annual campaign that begins on Monday, June 2 and ends Sunday, June 8. This week has been designated to educate the general public about sun safety in an effort to reduce incidences of skin cancer and damage. Research has shown that the older your skin is, the less your skin is capable of protecting itself from skin cancer. Furthermore, because the skin’s ability to repair itself declines, your skin is more susceptible to damaging infections.
FPG suggests following these ten tips and protect your skin from the Central Florida sun:
- The hours between 10am and 4pm are when the sun’s UV rays are strongest. Schedule your outdoor activities for other times of the day.
- UV Rays reflect off of surfaces including water, sand, roads and sidewalks. Remember to protect yourself when you will be spending significant time on these surfaces.
- Wear dark and tightly woven clothing.
- Wear sunglasses and a wide brimmed sun hat when you are outside in the heat
- Apply a sunscreen with a SPF 30 or higher to achieve adequate UV protection.
- Apply sunscreen to all exposed skin, including your neck, lips, ears and scalp if you have thinning hair before going out into the sun.
- Reapply sunscreen often, especially after swimming, sweating and toweling off.
- Always seek the shade to avoid direct sunlight and UV rays.
- Even on cloudy days, UV rays are still a threat to your skin. Do not think you do not need protection.
- Keep an eye on medications. Some medications increase the skin’s sensitivity to the sun. Ask your physicians if you have any questions or concerns.
Schedule an appointment!
It is important to check for skin cancer. Talk to your doctor about getting a skin screening with a dermatologist. For more information call 1.866.999.3741
or schedule your appointment with FPG, today