The CDC recommends that all seniors 50 to 75 be screened for colon cancer as the best defense against the disease. Colorectal cancer is the second leading cause of cancer related deaths in the United States, yet statistics show that one third of seniors have never been accurately tested.
What is Colorectal Caner?
What are the Numbers?
- A cancer that starts in the rectum or colon.
- Typically it begins as a small polyp, which is detectable through regular cancer screenings (i.e. Colonoscopy) .
Who's at Risk?
- Colorectal cancer kills about 50,000 individuals a year, second only to lung cancer.
- One in twenty people will develop colon cancer
- When caught, early colon cancer is ninety percent preventable.
- 23 million individuals recommended for a screening will not get properly tested for the cancer.
What does Medicare Cover?
- All seniors 50 to 75 years old
- Adults with a family history of polyps or colon cancer should get tested
- African American ages 45 and older.
What does it Cost?
- Medicare Part B covers several types of colorectal cancer screening tests for individuals who are age 50 or older and with Medicare. Contact your FPG doctor to schedule your Medicare covered screenings today.
- Fecal occult blood test are free for Medicare beneficiaries, age 50 and older, every 12 months.
- Colonoscopy or flexible sigmidscopy is also covered free for Medicare beneficiaries every 24 months for high risked individuals.
- Barium enema is covered once every 48 months for Medicare beneficiaries, age 50 and older. High-risk individuals are covered every 24 months. Note: You are required to pay 20% of the Medicare-approved amount for the doctor's services. In a hospital outpatient setting, you also pay a copayment.
- Biopsy or removal of growth or lesion most likely will results in copayment as this is considered diagnostic procedure not a screening.
Schedule a screening with FPG today!
are extremely important for early detection, when the cancer is the most preventable. For more information call 1.866.999.3741
or schedule your appointment with FPG, today
. We encourage your feedback please comment below, or you can chat with us on Facebook and Twitter.